Rent & Money Matters

One of the responsibilities you agreed to when you signed your tenancy agreement is to pay your rent and any service charges in advance. Your rent goes towards paying for repairs, improvements to your home and other services that we provide to customers. If you don’t pay rent, we have less money to provide services.

Rent is due on the first of every month to come. This means you must pay on or before the first of every month, for the coming month. For instance, you should pay your rent by the 1st of May for the month of May.

You can pay rent by:

  • Setting up a direct debit
  • Phoning us
  • Going online to
  • Using the allpay app on your smartphone or tablet
  • Sending a text message if you register on the allpay website
  • Phoning 0844 557 8321, 24 hours a day
  • Visiting any post office or shop displaying the PayPoint logo (you will need your allpay card to do this)
  • Using a chip-and-pin machine at one of our offices
  • Banking online (sort code: 83-06-08, account number: 00138048)
  • Logging into the self-service portal on our website

Difficulty Paying Rent
We know that, from time to time, people can get into financial difficulty. If you find yourself in debt or have difficulty paying your rent, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can give you advice and help, or help you with a benefits claim. It is always easier to manage problems at an early stage and anything you discuss will be kept strictly confidential.

If you don’t pay your rent we will contact you to make sure you know you are in rent arrears. We will then discuss the situation with you and arrange for you to take steps to pay off what you owe. If you don’t get in touch or respond to our messages, we may take legal action against you. This may result in you losing your home.

We owe it to all customers to make sure that rent and arrears are collected as quickly as possible. We always pursue money owed to us as this can affect the quality of service for others.

Help With Your Rent
If you think you should be receiving housing benefit, you should apply to your local council for a Housing Benefit assessment. If you would like help completing the claim form, we can help you with this. If you do receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, it is still your responsibility to make sure you pay your rent on time to us.

Rent Review
Every year we review how much rent you pay. We look at the money spent over the past year and calculate how much we will need to run our services for the coming year, whilst making sure our rent is still affordable. We will write to all tenants and ask for your views on our proposed changes before confirming what they will be.

Service Charge
This charge related to maintaining the communal areas of your development, which includes things like staff costs, gardening and cleaning. Tenants are charged only for the services provided. We do not make a profit on these services and we work hard to ensure that the charges are reasonable and represent value for money. We will write to all tenants who pay a service charge to ask your views on any proposed changes.

Heating Charge
If you stay in a sheltered or retirement court or our extra care development at Madelvic Square in Edinburgh, you may have to pay a heating charge, which covers the cost of heating and hot water. We will write to all tenants who pay a heating charge to ask your views on any proposed changes.

Benefits And Money Advice
If you are struggling to get to grips with the benefits system or need a little help managing your money then you can speak to our Benefits Advisor. We offer free, confidential advice and support which is tailored to your needs.

We can:

  • Complete benefits checks
  • Provide representation at appeals tribunals
  • Provide advice on any type of benefits
  • Assist in resolving problems with rent arrears, including Housing Benefit backdating requests and appeals
  • Help manage your debts
  • Help you budget your money